Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Review - DQ Blizzard of the Month: Ooey Gooey Caramel Brownie

With September well underway and us having yet to review the Dairy Queen Blizzard of the Month, when B took a left leaving the university this afternoon I knew what was on the radar.  I ordered first, and as I stumbled with my request; "I'd like an Ooey Gooey Caramel Brownie Blizzard please, the little regular size one, I mean, a small one, that's the one I consider regular," B gave my ordering technique a grade of FAIL.  Sure enough, our regular table was unoccupied, and soon we were looking into two cups of "gooey Caramel, real fudge brownie pieces and choco chunks blended with creamy vanilla soft serve."  Let me break it down for you.
Awful iPod picture quality ahoy!

Dairy Queen's "creamy soft serve" (which I believe is probably a combination of iced milk and edible oil product), served as a vector for what on first inspection seemed to be only chocolate shards and brownie chunks.  I consulted the class list for the Blizzard of the Month again, and noted that perhaps someone was skipping.  Visibly, the caramel was not in attendance.  As I crunched into my first spoonful however, I was pleased to enjoy the texture of the breaking chocolate shards as well as the caramel-infused vanilla soft serve.  No one was skipping after all - the caramel was simply hiding amongst his peers.

I would be lying if I didn't mention that this was actually our second offense with this particular Blizzard, having sampled it earlier in the month before deciding to create our ice cream blog.  The first time, we recall being rather disappointed with the lack of caramel.  Today we were happy to discover satisfactory caramel levels.  Optimum caramel levels might be achieved through less blending of the Blizzard, but we understand that this would result in the creation of other flaws.  The brownie pieces were flavourful, chewy, and fudge-like, sometimes surrounded by a pocket of caramel.  I have the feeling that this constitutes the Ooey Gooey referred to in the Blizzard's name.  The chocolate shards, although they were probably on the synthetic end of the chocolate spectrum, were very satisfying in texture and taste: they gave the Blizzard a delightful crunch to compliment the sugary rich brownie pieces.  Perhaps a little sweet for some palates, Dairy Queen's Ooey Gooey Caramel Brownie delivers just what it offers.  We drove home in a sugary haze.

Recomend to a Friend? Aaaw Yeeah
Repurchase: J + B - already did

No comments:

Post a Comment