Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Review: Blizzard of the Month - Caramel Nut Roll

Yes, it's November, and that means a new Dairy Queen Blizzard of the month! October took care of Pumpkin Pie, so I was wondering what kind of potential holiday-themed concoction they would come up with to honor American thanksgiving? Well the answer is clearly....peanuts, caramel, and marshmallows? Not like pecan or...something? DQ claims this "took all my favorite desserts and combined them in a treat so delicious it makes the turkeys jealous." Which desserts exactly? And more importantly, who the hell is this anonymous Blizzard describer that seems to be speaking in first person to us? Seriously, does this even qualify as anything thanksgiving-y south of the border?
OK, OK, I guess it doesn't really need to relate to thanksgiving - and if it somehow does, it's way over my head. And don't get me wrong, I like all three primary ingredients in this mixture of "gooey caramel and marshmallow blended with peanuts." In fact, I generally enjoyed this blizzard. There were a LOT of peanuts in it, which is good because I am a big fan of peanuts + vanilla ice cream, but I could see it getting a bit overwhelming for some. In fact the peanut overload did make it a bit difficult to isolate the other flavours that were supposed to be present. I could taste the marshmallow, though as the flavour is somewhat similar to vanilla soft serve in the first place, it took a bit. As for the caramel...
You are looking at the only evidence of caramel I could find in this Blizzard. It just...wasn't really there. Which is a shame, because it would have added an extra dimension to a treat that was essentially just peanuts + vanilla. Note to DQ employees: equally proportioned mix-ins!

Recommend to a friend? Yes, if you like peanuts. This was a fairly satisfactory treat
Repurchase? Potentially. I would probably put Crispy Crunch ahead of this one though. :-/

No comments:

Post a Comment